Monday, November 14, 2016

Review: VIP - I'm With the Band by Jen Calonita


Title: I'm With the Band
Author: Jen Calonita
Series: VIP #1
Publisher: Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: December 1, 2015
Source: Publisher

Have you ever been absolutely in love with a boy band?  And then you discover you get to meet them because your mom is their new manager?!  Not only that, you get to go on a road tour with them!?

Well, that is exactly what happens to Mac in I'm With the Band.  As far as she is concerned she is Perfect Storms #1 fan.  Of course, drama happens and it is up to Mac to save the day!

Oh my goodness people, this book is so much fun!  I am well over the intended age range for this book (it is a middle grade novel), but I still found myself enjoying it and totally pulled into it.  Sometimes I even felt like I might be a 12 year old!

And when a book can totally make you forget your own age, that is when you know it is good!

Obviously with saying all of that, I thought that the characters were well done.  I felt like I was reading a 12 year old.  I could tell Mac was in love with the boy band and it reminded me very much of real 12 year olds in the same situation.  I'm pretty sure if you have a 12 year or so old in your life that is love with a boy band that they will not have any sort of problem relating to Mac.

Also, Mac is not all about being in love with the band.  She also has a very creative artsy side.  This is actually shown in quite a fun way too!  The story is told from Mac's perspective as she writes about the events in her journal/diary.  So her art work is doodled along the edges and also she has a comic that she writes that is pretty much her alter ego that gets shown and referred to a lot in the story.  It really is quite fun and really adds to the story.

Definitely a great and super fun read!  Perfect for 12ish year olds or for those who want to forget their actual age!

My Rating
4 Stars


This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment