Monday, December 19, 2016

Review: The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson


Title: The Kiss of Deception
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Series: The Remnant Chronicles
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co
Publication Date: July 8, 2014
Source: Trade

I had been holding onto this book for a good while before I finally managed to pick it up and get it read.  So what made me finally get to the point that I was ready to pick it up and read it?  Mostly it was because this was someone else's unicorn of an ARC and I wanted to get it to her (I had gotten it in a trade myself), but also it was because I had kept hearing about this book.

I kept hearing about it on Twitter.  I kept seeing it make an appearance on Instagram.

It just kept popping up all over the place.

So, naturally, I had to pick it up and see for myself why this book kept being talked about and mentioned and photographed and all that jazz.

Like normal, I had no idea really what it was about.  I just knew that people liked it a lot.

The book, it turns out, is about a princess who doesn't want to be forced into marriage by her father.  So what does she do?  She runs away right before her marriage.  She doesn't go alone though.  Her best friend (who also just happens to be a servant girl in her castle like home!) goes with her.  They run to a port side town where they hope they will be able to go unnoticed by those around them and live the rest of their days all happy like and free from the pressures of what others want of them.

Too bad our princess was followed.  Not by one, but by 2 men.  One wants to do her harm, the other wants to take her back.

The fun part is...which one is which?  The author doesn't tell us!  We are left guessing and wondering throughout the majority of the book which guy is actually which!

So clever.  So evil.

I mean, seriously, what if I choose the wrong guy?  The pressure of it all!  But it is pretty cool and I wasn't expecting to be in the middle of a giant guessing game of who is who, so mad props for that.

What I wanted more of though?  I wanted more magic.  The magic that is in this book felt more like it was only a hint of it.  Just barely there.  Not really touched or used and I wanted to see more.  Lots more.  I like magic.  If the world has magic in it, I want to see it.  I don't want it to be under done and disappointing...but maybe in book 2 we will get more of the magic?

I did appreciate that we were given a strong heroine that doesn't want to be pushed around by those around her.  I hate when we have female characters that just do what everyone around them tells them to do or just sit in a corner freaking out because without the guidance of others they have no idea what they should do in any given situation.  Do I use a fork or a spoon?!?!?!  Someone please tell me!!!  Ugh.  Thankfully, The Kiss of Deception did not fall prey to that issue.  That was nice and refreshing.

All in all, I liked The Kiss of Deception.  However, to me, it did not reach the hype that was built up for it... But when can a book ever truly reach the hype?  I was at least not horribly disappointed and still enjoyed it quite a bit, which also means the hype didn't ruin it for me either.  That is always good.

Now to find time to get to book 2.  That one is also sitting on myself waiting.

My Rating
4 Stars


This review is based on an ARC I received by trading with another book blogger.  All thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment