Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge by Paul Krueger


Title: Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge
Author: Paul Krueger
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication Date: June 7, 2016
Source: Publisher

So, I am totally not a drinker in any way shape or form, but something about Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge still called out to me and told me that I had to read it.

And I am glad that I listened to whatever that something was!

Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge has such an interesting and original premise.  It is about bartenders, but bartenders do not just sling drinks and break up bar fights.  They keep the people safe from demons that are out and about trying to feed on the drunks wandering the streets late at night!

Our main character is about Bailey.  She is a fresh out of college business degree graduate that cannot find a job.  She has moved home and has started working at the bar that her childhood friend, Zane, is a bartender at.  She starts out just running around getting the bartenders clean glasses and making sure that their lemon slices are stocked up...but she isn't a dummy and starts to notice that things aren't as they seem.  Oh, and she runs into one of these demons on her way home from work one night!

I loved the premise of this book.  I was pulled in and found it hard to put this book down.  I just had to keep going and going until...it was over.  But I didn't want to put it down even when it ended!  I wasn't ready for this fantastic world that Paul Krueger created to be over.

I found it very easy to relate to Bailey.  I have been there.  I have been the college graduate that couldn't find a job and had to take the first thing that I could come by...which for me happened to be bookselling (and I stayed with it for 6 years, but this isn't about me).

Also, I loved loved loved the character Bucket.  He was by far my favorite of the whole cast.  I found him quirky with a funky sense of humor.  The jokes he cracked always brought a smile to my face and an occasional audible laugh.  Thankfully no one was ever really around me while I was reading, they probably would have thought me crazy.

Oh, and if that wasn't enough things that I loved about Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge, I also loved the formatting.  Placed between the chapters that contained the story, we got to read pages from the Devil's Water Dictionary.  This allowed us to read part of the book that the characters got their magical elixirs.  It also gave us the recipes to some of the drinks mentioned within the story (so yay! we can make them ourselves) and background information about the ingredients.  I felt that this gave a whole other level to the story and really helped me feel a part of it and that the characters were people I could possibly run into them on the street.

So to say it again, just in case it wasn't obvious already, I loved Last Call at the Nightshade Lounge.  It is a world that I really hope Paul Krueger continues!

My Rating
5 Stars


This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment