Thursday, June 16, 2016

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff


Title: Illuminae
Author: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Series: The Illuminae Files #1
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: October 20, 2015
Source: First in Line

Illuminae is a book I put off reading for a long time.  I had access to it before it was even released, yet I couldn't bring myself to read it.

Was there a reason why?

It could have been because everyone was in love with it and I was afraid that the hype about it was going to ruin it for me..or it could have been because I tend to put off books I really want to read.  If I read them, then they are over....and what if I hate them?

Or it could have been a bit of both.  Or it could have been because I just never picked it up.

Eventually I did though.  I actually read it as a part of #ARCApril.  And now, here is June, and I am finally writing something up about it.

Procrastination?  Maybe.  Waiting for the right words to describe this book to come to me?  Maybe that too.

But if I keep waiting for those perfect words to come to me, then I will never ever write anything up about this book.  Those words are never going to come.  This book...there really are no words for this book.

Illuminae is actually set in space in the far out future.  A small, illegal mining company is attacked by another mining company.  Their home is destroyed.  Thankfully there was a fleet nearby to help save some of those who lived in the colony or else there would have been no survivors.

Of course, even though the ships got away, the attackers continued on in pursuit.  They didn't want to have any one left behind.

There were only 3 ships with survivors...and things started to happen...and no one was talking.

I really cannot go into much more of a description of the story than that.  I do not want to accidentally give away anything.  There are so many aspects to Illuminae, it is mind blowing to say the least.

Illuminae has a little bit of everything to it.  There is romance.  There is war.  There is espionage.  There is There is There is.  It is so hard to explain.  It will definitely keep you on your toes the whole way through though.  You will never find yourself bored or wanting to put it down.

And then there is the formatting of this book, which only adds to the brilliance that is Illuminae.  Illuminae is far from being formatted like a normal book.  It is meant to be a collection of files on an incident.  There are conversation logs, emails, files, and more to it.  In my opinion, this book should not be read as an ebook.  I think reading it digitally will take away from some of the magic that the formatting lends to the story as a whole.  So do yourself a favor and order it or head down to the store and get it.  You might not be able to start it as quickly as if you were to download it onto whatever device you have, but it will be well worth it in the end.

So was there anything that I didn't like in Illuminae?  Yes.  That it ended.  And that the second book Gemina isn't released yet....  But other than that?  No.  I loved it.  I wish I could read it again for the very first time and experience all brand new over again.

My Rating
5 Stars


This review is based on an ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment