Monday, January 25, 2016

The Feathered Bone by Julie Cantrell


Title: The Feathered Bone
Author: Julie Cantrell
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Publication Date: January 26, 2016
Source: Netgalley


Wow.  If you are wanting to read a book that touches on some really hard/emotional topics then The Feathered Bone by Julie Cantrell is for you.

However, if you want something that is nice light and fun, you may want to steer clear of this one.

The Feathered Bone starts out in New Orleans before hurricane Katrina.  Our main character is with her daughter and her daughters classmates on a field trip.  Everything is all fun and games until it isn't.  Amanda's daughter's (Ellie) best friend Sarah has gone missing.  She is no where to be found.  She is gone.  Just like that.  And Amanda was supposed to be the one watching her when she disappeared.

As you can probably tell just from the premise of this story that it is going to be a hard one with a lot of emotions.  However, you may just think that it is about a girl who has gone missing.

It is about a lot more than that.

Suicide. Human trafficking. Depression. Failed Relationships.

We get to see how someone who isn't a direct family member of the victim is effected when someone they know has gone missing.  We get to witness the ups and downs caused by this one horrible action.

It is quite a ride.  One that I suggest you go on.

I will say that I wasn't quite ready for how much religion was put into this book.  I don't normally read books with religious undertones, but I thought it was tastefully done.  It also fits with the location of the book.

It was also part of what helped this book get its message across.  And I think it was a beautiful message.  What is the message?  I'm not telling.  You need to read it to discover it for yourself.

Now, while I did enjoy reading the story and found it one that pulled me in.  The one thing that I didn't really like was that I never really found myself able to connect fully with Amanda.  There were points where she and I almost connected.  We got so so so close, but it never really happened.  If it had this book would have been rated quite a bit higher for me.

However, all this being said, I think this is a beautiful book.  I also appreciate that Julie Cantrell took the time to tell us her reasons she wrote about all of these hard topics.  Her reasons only made me appreciate it that much more.

My Rating
3 stars


This review is based on an eARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

1 comment:

  1. If you are looking for a reputable contextual ad company, I suggest you take a look at Propeller Ads.

    ReplyDelete