Friday, October 16, 2015

The Picture Book Wall (#3)

I hope storytime has been going well for everyone.  My daughter has been really enjoying it when I can get her to sit down and listen.  She is only 8 months old right now, so everything is interesting and it is hard to get her to want to sit still.  Since it is October, when we do have storytime it has mostly been a Halloween themed book.  The ABC's of Halloween reviewed below is probably the one we've been reading the most.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the reviews that I have for you this month.  I have a couple other reviews for picture books up this month too that aren't in this feature.  You should make sure to check them out!




Title: I Can Roar Like a Lion
Author: Frank Asch
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Kids Can Press
Publication Date: August 1, 2015
Source: Netgalley
Rating: 5 Stars

This one actually happens to be a board book making it nice and sturdy for little hands learning how to handle things.  Very nice when reading to a little one that wants to touch, play, and explore everything.

This book features a nice large sized hole where all the faces of the animals should be.  This allows for you or your child (or both!) to imitate the animal on any given page.

I really like this one because it introduces children to a lot of different animals.  It also allows them to practice animal noises or behaviors (such as a snake sticking out its tongue).

I Can Roar Like a Lion is sure to lead to a very fun and interactive storytime.  Be ready to have a lot of laughs!

This review is based on an eARC provided by the publisher for review.

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads



Title: ABC's of Halloween
Author: Patti Reeder Eubank
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Ideals Publications
Publication Date: May 7, 2003
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5 stars

This one is so cute!  Great for Halloween and to help teach your little ones ABCs!

It is an absolute delight to read out loud.  There are some great opportunities to add in your own sound effects too!  A few witch cackles and howls will have the kids laughing in no time!

The illustrations are all super cute too.  Each illustration takes up an entire page and show cases two black cats.  The colors are all very vibrant and everything is very detailed.  They are a true joy to look at.

What I really liked about this book was that on the page for the letter X there actually happens to be a recipe for soup that you make in a pumpkin!  I really want to try this out, but my little one is currently too young to eat soup, so this is something for us to try out in the future.  It looks pretty easy and sounds quite tasty.  It was a nice little surprise to discover and it will make a great thing that you can do after storytime together.  



Title: You Look Yummy!
Author: Tatsuya Miyanishi
Series: Tyrannosaurus Series
Publisher: Museyon
Publication Date: November 1, 2015
Source: Publisher
Rating: 3 stars

I thought that this book was okay.  I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the story.  I felt that the story read kind of flat.  Also, I thought that the story was a little sad.  It is about a baby Ankylosaurus, named Yummy, that is born alone in the world.

The first creature Yummy encounters is the Tyrannosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus wants to eat him.  Then Yummy calls him daddy and tells him that he wants to be just like him.  Tyrannosaurus finds that he cannot eat him.  He ends up protecting him from other dinosaurs and teaching him things.

Then one day, Tyrannosaurus tells Yummy that he can't teach him anymore and tricks Yummy into a race.  At the end of the race, Yummy finds others like him and Tyrannosaurus leaves.

I felt kind of bad for Tyrannosaurus.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations.  There are a lot of oranges and reds.  I don't know if my opinion is swayed by the fact that I really dislike the colors orange and yellow, but something about the colors just seemed a little off to me.  They are really bright though, and will be sure to grab the attention of your little ones.

In the end, this wasn't my favorite book, but I think dinosaur lovers will really like this one.

This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment