Thursday, October 8, 2015

The New Hunger by Isaac Marion


Title: The New Hunger
Author: Isaac Marion
Series: Warm Bodies #1.5
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication Date: October 6, 2015
Source: Netgalley

Though it is listed as being book 1.5 in the Warm Bodies series, you can easily read this one first.  There aren't really any spoilers in it.  If your copy contains an excerpt from book two though, I would skip reading that until you finish book 1.

This novella is about Julie, Nora, and R before Warm Bodies happens.  It introduces you to them and where they come from.  You get to see Julie travelling across the country with her mom and dad in a vehicle.  Nora trekking it across country on foot.  And R, you see him come back to "life."

Unlike in Warm Bodies, The New Hunger isn't told from R's perspective.  It is actually told from a not quite identified narrator.  I was kind of bummed out about that at first.  I would have at least liked R's perspective told in his voice.  I really enjoyed reading a book from the perspective of a zombie, it is very unique and quite creative.  Or at least I think so.  However, in the end, I am okay with not getting to see inside his mind.  It really wouldn't have worked out and the feel of the story wouldn't have come across correctly.

The horror of this story actually grows kind of slowly.  I was a bit disappointed in it for awhile.  However, my impatient patience was rewarded eventually.  There is definitely a good creepy factor in The New Hunger.

I tend to pass over novellas a lot of the time, though when I have chosen to read them I find myself very rewarded.  That is also true in this instance.  Maybe I should start reading more of them.

I did have one side effect from this that I wasn't expecting.  I found myself wanting to reread Warm Bodies.  I haven't read it since before it came out (I was lucky enough to get an ARC of it back then, but sadly I don't have it anymore).  So be warned, if it has been awhile since you read Warm Bodies you may end up wanting to do a reread.  If nothing else, it will get you excited for the new one coming out  - The Living.  I know I am!

My Rating
5 Stars


This review is based on an eARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Warm Bodies forever now!
    Is The Living the sequel to Warm Bodies then? Is so, I hope they make a movie out of it again because the first one was FANTASTIC! (Yeah, I know, shame on me: I watched the movie before I've read the book but I just couldn't resist...)

    Great review!!

    Gina @ A Thousand Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it a long long time ago. I need to reread it. You will learn about zombie sex in it...(not a spoiler just something I always found funny about it). I am looking forward to reading The Living though. It has been a long time. Warm Bodies reads as a stand alone though. I guess he always had the story thought out, but I don't know if he always knew if he would write the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it a long long time ago. I need to reread it. You will learn about zombie sex in it...(not a spoiler just something I always found funny about it). I am looking forward to reading The Living though. It has been a long time. Warm Bodies reads as a stand alone though. I guess he always had the story thought out, but I don't know if he always knew if he would write the sequel.

    ReplyDelete