Friday, August 28, 2015

Cinder - Marissa Meyer



Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: January 3, 2012
Source: Borrowed

A futuristic retelling of the ever popular Cinderella fairytale.  There are humans, androids, and cyborgs.  There really isn’t very much else you can ask for when it comes to this story.

Cyborgs in this world are treated as second class citizens.  Unfortunately for Cinder, she just happens to be one of these cyborgs.  Then to top it all off, she has a step mother that cannot stand her and treats her horribly.  The only thing that really helps her out in the world is that she is a very good mechanic.  One of the best around actually.

It is because of her gift with machines that she meets Prince Kai.  Her life unravels pretty quickly from there.  It doesn’t help that she doesn’t really know anything about her past and how she came to be the way she is (or even really where she came from).  Cinder is just one confused girl trying to stay under the radar and live her life.

The take that this book takes on the classic Cinderella story is very unique and I really enjoyed it.  I felt that the characters were very well done.  I enjoyed the quirkiness that the author gave to a few of them.  It was not hard at all to imagine the characters and the world while reading along.

I am very interested in seeing how all the books will end up tying themselves together.  I can see some of the master plan while reading this one, but I am not really sure how Marissa Meyers is going to pull it all together.  My understanding is that all of the books should revolve around a different fairytale and I personally have trouble imagining how Meyers is going to pull this off.  It takes a very clever sort of person to do so and I hope she can!


My Rating

4 out of 5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Pretty excited for Winter in November. I've read Cinder 4 or 5 times now =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you continue to enjoy the series! It's really great to see those different fairy tales play into the series and I promise you, it TOTALLY works!
    Thanks again for joining the read along! Hope you continue to enjoy the series!!

    ReplyDelete