Monday, July 11, 2016

The Chasm by S. Usher Evans


Title: The Chasm
Author: S. Usher Evans
Series: The Madion War Trilogy #2
Publisher: Sun's Golden Ray Publishing
Publication Date: July 12, 2016
Source: Author

For those who don't know this about me, I normally do not read books in a series back to back.  I like to spread them out, sometimes almost indefinitely, because I don't want the world to end.  I like to take my time with the world in question and savor it.  That way, when I do return it is more like I am visiting old friends and not like I am rushing through the story.

There are exceptions to this rule of course and I don't make them often, but I did make it for this The Madion War Trilogy.  I went directly from book 1 in the series - The Island (find my review HERE) to the second - The Chasm.

That being said, this is a review for a second book in a series...so there may be some spoilers for book one.  If you haven't read book one, I suggest you stop reading this review and either go check out my review for that one or go and buy it and read it for yourself.  Then come back to this review (or just go get a copy!).

Consider yourself warned.

The Chasm starts almost where The Island ends give or a take a month or two.  Galian is working at the hospital in Kylae and doing everything he can to avoid his father while Theo is making appearances and being a public figure in Rave.  Each is trying to make the changes that they promised the other in their countries so that they can be together once again, but neither one of them is making any head way.

For the first half of the book, I felt like I was mostly reading about how Galian and/or Theo was missing the other one and pining away.  It just felt like the book was stuck on how much our two main characters were missing each other.  And, honestly, I found it to get a bit old and a little boring.  It definitely took me longer to get through the first half of the book than it took me to get through the second.

However, when I got to the second half, and all that "I'm so sad" stuff seemed to taper off, the story got quite a bit more interesting and a lot more started to happen.  It definitely picked up the pace and got very interesting!  There were some twists and turns in the story, and events that I did not expect at all!

So of course now I need book 3, The Union, and it isn't out yet.  I guess that is what I get for devouring what is available of the series now...

The Chasm had a bit of a 2nd book in a series feel to it, and that is okay! It is a 2nd book after all!  I am glad that I stuck with it and I cannot wait to see how things finally turn out in The Union!

My Rating
4 Stars


This review is based on a copy provided by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment