Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Thief of Lies by Brenda Drake


Title: Thief of Lies
Author: Brenda Drake
Series: Library Jumpers #1
Publisher: January 5, 2016
Publication Date: Entangled Teen
Source: Netgalley

Could you imagine being able to jump from library to library?  I mean, you could go to any library in the world!  Personally, I think it would be super awesome, but then again I am a huge booknerd...

Anyways, the Thief of Lies is about Gia.  She lives with her dad, who is actually her step dad, and her mom died some years ago.  She doesn't know much about her real father or very much about her mother either for that matter.  She does know that she loves her dad as though he was her actual birth father, and that is all that matters to her.

She is also some what of a geek.  She really enjoys reading and doing research.  Her sport of choice is fencing, and she could do research all day every day.  In fact, she has a tendency to do it for her friends when they are too lazy to do it themselves.

It is while Gia and her friends are off at spectacular library, the Boston Athenaeum, that her life and that of her friends gets turned totally upside down.

We can blame it all on the hot guy wearing leather that she runs into.  He is the one who left the magical book out that lets special people jump from library to library on the table.

Wait? Special?

This book was really entertaining.  I loved the lore of it all.  I thought that Brenda Drake did an excellent job crafting and writing her world.  I found it all believable (to the extent you should find a fantasy book believable at least).

Thankfully, the awesomeness of this story didn't end with the lore and the world building - the characters were crafted pretty well themselves.  I would LOVE to go into detail about all of them, but I want you to read this story and see the world building and the character development for yourselves!  You will be well rewarded, that I can promise.

The whole story line was a fun ride, one that I cannot wait to continue on.  Too bad book 2 isn't out yet.  Maybe if I close my eyes and wish really hard it will magically appear before me?

Sadly, that didn't work.

Until book 2 is here, I will dream of jumping from library to library and sword fights.  Maybe my own hot guy in leather will be there?

My Rating
4 stars


This review is based on an eARC copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.

3 comments:

  1. Library jumping and sword fights?? And a guy in leather? Okay, you got me more interested in this one! I don't think I've ever been super excited for this book, but I am more excited about it after reading your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the lore she incorporated and took the time to explain things in her world too.

      It was a pretty good mix of a lot of elements.

      Delete
  2. I cannot a wait to read this book. Your review makes me want this book sooner! :)

    ReplyDelete