Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Behind the Blog: What Have I Been Reading

 It seems it is harder break old habits than I thought. So here I am, writing a post that involves books and reading.

My typical go to genres are almost anything that is labeled young adult, paranormal, or fantasy. However, at some point during my reading slump I found myself wanting to read books in the horror, psychological thriller, suspense genres.

I am not 100% why this switch happened. I think there are actually a few factors to this. The first and foremost one that comes to my mind is my 6 year old. She some how was discovering she liked kind of scary (but not too scary) things. So then I was trying to find age appropriate books to see if that would help get her to read more. The second was I had some pretty toxic people in my life not too long ago that were so against "darker" things that I think I may have been passive aggressively driven towards them. Yes, I realize that probably says a lot about me right there, but maybe we will cover that in a different post some day.

Also, this interestingly, does not extend to me watching shows or movies that are horror. I really have almost no desire to watch those. I prefer what my imagination can come up with from what I am reading to what some person decided would be cool to show me. And I am not really a fan of the pop out scare. Or the gross out for that matter. A nice, detailed description is all I need and my mind can take it where it needs to go.

Sadly, I don't usually find myself all that scared, psychologically thrilled, or dealing with too much suspense. Maybe I am just reading the wrong things. Maybe I have too high of expectations. Maybe this is the real reason I have been drawn to read these types of books lately. To see if I can find one that will get to me and satisfy what ever it is in me that needs to be satisfied.

This all being said, if you have any recommendations for me, from any age group, please let me know. I am always looking for something to help keep from falling back into my slump!

No comments:

Post a Comment