Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Explore Your Creative Side (#10)

Hi Everyone!

I have some news for you today.  This will be my last "Explore Your Creative Side" post!

Don't worry though!  It isn't that I wont be writing reviews for crafty/hobby/coloring books any more.  I will just be writing them in a new place that is a much better fit for them!  So you will still be able to find reviews, just not on Reading is Better With Cupcakes.

That being said.  Reading is Better With Cupcakes will definitely be sticking around.  And maybe I will still post a review for a coloring book or other creative type book here, but it will definitely not be under this feature.

I will be giving you all more information soon about where you will be able to find these reviews though!

Anyways, here are this months reviews!



Title: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles - Kickin' It Old School Coloring Book
Author: Random House and Patrick Spaziante
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Random House Books For Young Readers
Publication Date: August 9, 2016
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5 Stars

I bought this coloring book for a friend who loves the TMNTs and now upon seeing the coloring book I have decided that I really need this one for myself!

The pages are technically single sided.  I say technically because on the back side there are a few words to tell you about the next page to color, but that is it.  The paper is a good thickness and if you don't mind chancing bleed through to ruin the side with the words I think you could use marker on the pages.  However, I would still put a page between the two just in case you use a heavier bleed through marker - such as a sharpie.

The pictures to color take up the entire page.  And they all differ.  Some of them have a bit more of a blurry quality to the lines, while others have lines that are much more crisp.  You can also tell that there is a good mixture between the newer Turtles and the older Turtles portrayed in this coloring book.

All in all, this is a great coloring book!!


This review is based on a purchased copy.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.


Title: Pop Manga Coloring Book - A Surreal Journey Through a Cute, Curious, Bizarre, and Beautiful World
Author: Camilla d'Errico
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Watson-Guptill
Publication Date: July 19, 2016
Source: Blogging for Books
Rating: 4 Stars

This one is a good bit different than other coloring books I have.  This one isn't so much focused on repeating patterns, though there are some, but more on characters (people).

Also, the pictures to color tend to have a sketched quality to them, similar to what you see on the cover.  I kind of like this though.  It allows for you to feel like you are colaborating with Camilla d'Errico in a way to complete these works of art.

One thing that I don't know if I am a huge fan of though is the little character guy who appears on a few pages.  He/She pops up every so often to give you advice or tips, or to just tell you something about a specific picture.  Thankfully the character doesn't show up too often though.  I find it a little distracting when it shows up.

In regards to the paper quality.  It seems to be good.  They are double sided though, so I really doubt Copic or Prismacolor markers can be used since they bleed hard and heavy...which is a shame.  I have seen some fantastic works of art done in those mediums and I think some fantastic stuff could be done in this book with them.

All in all, I like this coloring book a lot.  It is a different than a lot of the other coloring books out there and I think that it will provide colorists with some fantastic opportunities to explore with new ways of coloring.


This review is based on a copy provided by Blogging for Books.  All thoughts and opinions are mine and mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment