Friday, June 3, 2016

My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix


Title: My Best Friend's Exorcism
Author: Grady Hendrix
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Quirk Books
Publication Date: May 17, 2016
Source: Netgalley

I am always trying to find a good horror book.  I don't know why...I can never really seem to find one...but I figured I would give My Best Friend's Exorcism a try.

Well now.

Once again, I was disappointed.  Maybe I should stop reading horror.  I am just almost never satisfied.  It is starting to get very discouraging.

Hold on.  I am getting way ahead of myself now.  More on this in a little bit.

The main characters in My Best Friend's Exorcism are Abby and Gretchen, though the story is pretty much told from Abby's perspective.  I don't want to go into too much detail on what this book is about, but essentially Gretchen starts acting very strange and not like herself at all and the only one who seems to notice is Abby.

Okay.  I don't know if I can get much more vague than that huh?  Oh well.

Anyways, this story is not really a horror even though it says it is.  I would say it is much more a story about friendship than anything.

And I think that is why this book fell a little short for me.  I was expecting a horror story, but really what I got was a lot of talk about pimples and other teenage girl stuff.

There was one scene though that really got to me though.  Grady Hendrix could write one really stellar horror story if he really wanted frighten the pants off of his readers.

Interestingly enough, while I was reading this...I felt as though my face was super greasy.  Side effect of good writing and a lot of talk about pimples.

Also, this book is totally set in the 80s.  If you are not an 80s fan you may want to skip this one.  There happens to be so many references you will not be happy.  But...if you love the 80s you are going to be very happy!  A lot of the references are song ones, but there are other things as well.

Oh and fun side note for the 80s music references....the publisher Quirk Books totally has a play list that has all of the songs listed and a few others on Spotify.  You really should check it out.  I listen to that play list ALL THE TIME.

However, despite being disappointed in the horror aspect of My Best Friend's Exorcism, I will be reading more of Grady Hendrix's books.  I found him to be an excellent writer with quite an imagination and I look forward to reading more of his work in the future.

My Rating
3 Stars


This review is based on an eARC provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.




No comments:

Post a Comment