Saturday, April 16, 2016

The Picture Book Wall (#9)

Hi hi hi!

It is finally time for another installment of The Picture Book Wall!  I may be an adult, but I definitely enjoy reading picture books and sharing my thoughts with you all.  I can't wait until my bug is old enough to tell me her thoughts on them too.  I totally plan on sharing them, but she needs to learn some words for that to be able to happen.

All in good time.

I hope storytimes have been going well for all of you.  My daughter has actually been "reading" on her own lately.  AKA - she has been flipping the pages of the cardboard books that I leave out for her and sometimes works on eating them.  She is only 1 though, so I forgive her.

Who knows, maybe there is something we forget as we grow older.  Perhaps not are only books good brain food, but good tummy food too.  Maybe there is a taste to those cardboard books when you are younger that is just too delicious to deny and then as we grow up, we lose the ability to taste it.

Sorry.  For myself I am reading a spin on the tale of Peter Pan.  If you can't tell, it is rubbing off on the way I think about somethings recently!

Anyways, here are my picture book reviews for you this month!




Title: The Best Days Are Dog Days
Author: Aaron Meshon
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Dial Books
Publication Date: April 12, 2016
Source: Publisher
Rating: 4 Stars

The Best Days Are Dog Days is a story about a dog and a little girl.  It details a day in the life of the two, but instead of being told by the little girl, it is told by the dog!

It is a really simple, but still very good book to read to a little one.  Especially a little one who has a dog or loves dogs.  Despite its simplicity, this book offers a lot of chances to start a conversation about what you see on any given page.  It also offers you the chance to discuss the different items that you can see on the page.

The art work is also very bright and very enjoyable to look at.  It is quite fun.  My little one spent a good couple of minutes after we finished reading it to flip through the pages herself.

Oh, and she squealed more than once while we read the story (she doesn't really have any words yet, so this means she liked it).

This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.




Title: Love Monster
Author: Rachel Bright
Series: Love Monster
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Publication Date: December 24, 2013
Source: Purchased
Rating: 3 stars

I am going to be totally honest with you on this one.  I am very torn with my feelings about it.  On one hand I like it and think it is really cute while on the other hand I think it is a little bit depressing.  I guess I should explain that a little bit...

I think the monster is super cute.  He looks like something I just want to pick up and hug.  If I think that, I am sure that kids who read or have this book read to them will think the same thing about this little guy.

I also like the artwork.  I don't really know why, but there is something about it that I find pleasing and nice to look at.

What I find depressing about it though is the storyline.  The story is about the little love monster and how he has no friends.  The love monster then sets out to find some friends, and he just about gives up.  Then, when he has pretty much given up all hope of finding a friend, he finds another monster.

I understand the underlying message of this story, but I still think it is a tad bit more sad than it needs to be.



Title: Froggy Goes to the Library
Author: Jonathan London
Illustrator: Frank Remkiewicz
Series: Froggy
Publisher: Viking Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: March 15, 2016
Source: Publisher
Rating: 4 Stars

I am a sucker for books that try to promote the love of books and reading in kids.  I think it is a great cause and a great lesson.  And thankfully, Froggy Goes to the Library doesn't disappoint.

What is more awesome, is this book also promotes the love of storytime!

So what is this book about?  It is about Froggy who finds out that they are going to the library that day.  He is so excited that he keeps forgetting to do things like getting dressed and eating breakfast.  Good thing his mom is there to remind him!  Eventually they get the library where Froggy's excitement gets him into a little bit of trouble with the librarian.  However, eventually it is storytime.  Froggy tries very hard to avoid storytime, believing that he is too old for such a thing.  In the end, though, he gets pulled in and lets his excitement get the better of him again!

Froggy Goes to the Library is quite a fun read and perfect for a storytime!  There are plenty of places that allow for you, the reader, to really get into it.  Not only that, there are times when you can get the littles that you are reading to to join in!  So much fun!

This review is based on a copy provided by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment