Monday, June 29, 2015

Spelled - Betsy Schow


Title: Spelled
Author: Betsy Schow
Series: Stand Alone
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: June 2, 2015
Source: Netgalley

It is hard to describe this novel.  At times it can be rather strange and weird, making you wonder how Betsy Schow ever came up with that part of the story.  Other parts were full of magic and wonder.  Over all, Spelled is creative, innovative, and a fantastic story.

One can only wonder how Betsy Schow was able to come up with this story.  Spelled is meant to be her retelling of Dorthy and her adventures in the Wizard of Oz.  However, at times it felt much more like the story was inspired by L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz more than anything.  Either way you view this book and its relationship with the original Wizard of Oz story, you will not be disappointed.

The story revolves around Princess Dorthea.  A stuck up self involved princess who has never been allowed outside of her castle because of a family curse.  Then one night she receives a wishing star from a fairy godmother in training.  That same night she discovers she has been betrothed to Prince Kato.  Prince Kato is not very princely looking.  He is dirty and has an attitude that Princess Dorthea finds repulsive.  Princess Dorthea, who hates being told what to do, gets angry at this prospect and makes her wish on her wishing star.  The wish goes haywire and destroys the rules of fairy tales.  Everything is turned upside down and magic doesn't work right.  Worst of all, the Wicked Witch Griz appears and has the desire to take over and to kill Princess Dorthea.

Princess Dorthea ends up going on a wild adventure.  Unfortunately for her she gets stuck with Prince Kato and Rexi - a very snarky handmaiden that likes to take anything not glued down.  The three have to learn to get a long with one another while trying to figure out how to undo Princess Dorthea's wish.

I thought that the characters of this story were very well done.  I had no trouble imagining them as I read the story.  My favorite character was Prince Kato.  I don't really know what it was about him.  If it was his sarcastic attitude or what, but I really enjoyed him.  Though to be fair, I don't think there was really a character in the story I didn't like how they were created and portrayed.

I have no idea how Betsy Schow managed to imagine up this universe, but I am so glad she did.  It was fun reading all the little bits of different fairy tales she snuck in throughout the story even though it was Wizard of Oz based.

I give Spelled 4 out of 5 stars and I cannot wait to see where the next installment (there better be one!) of this story takes us!

This review is based on an advanced reading copy provided by the publisher, Sourcebooks Fire, through Netgalley.

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested now! My friend had this book sent to me, and I had never heard of it before. So it's just sitting up on my shelf waiting to be read! ...also i friggin love the wizard of oz, so that coupled with your great review- yeah I'm totally sold. I gotta read this!

    ReplyDelete